AP, Dual Enrollment, Transfer, and Study Abroad Credits
Students who major in the department can use a total of only three units of eligible transfer, dual enrollment, AP, and credits from study abroad combined to count toward their major, with approval of the department. Only two units from study abroad can be used toward the major.
Students who minor in Studio Art or Art History can use a total of two units of eligible transfer, dual enrollment, AP, and credits from study abroad combined to count toward their minor, with approval of the department. Only one unit from study abroad can be used toward the minor.
Requirements for the Art History Major
We recommend that students complete ARTX160: Art, Power, and Society and the studio course requirement in their first or second year and proceed to Breadth and Topics courses in the Sophomore and Junior year. ARTX 491 Ways of Seeing must be taken in the Fall of the Senior year, and the Art History SIP is conducted during the Winter quarter of the Senior year.
Number of Units
Eight units are required. The SIP is not counted as part of the 8 units.
Take all 3 units from Required courses
- ARTX160 (old 195) Art, Power, and Society (Spring of first or second year)
- ARTX105, ARTX128, ARTX134 or ARTX234 (Studio Course)
- ARTX491 Ways of Seeing (Fall Senior Year)
Take 2 Units from Breadth
- ARTX 145 Global Art Exchange
- ARTX 150 Understanding Abstraction
- ARTX 215 History of Photography
- ARTX 208 Intro to Greek
- ARTX 209 Intro to Roman
- ARTX 265 “Primitivism” to Surrealism
- ARTX 224 The 1960s
Take 3 Units from Topics
- ARTX 206 Ceramics World Pottery (Sophomore Seminar)
- ARTX 211 Architecture, Urbanism, Identity
- ARTX 229 Pompeii
- ARTX 227 Modern Art Museum
- RELG/ARTX 235 Devotional Stuff
- ARTX 290 Public Art and its Publics
- ARTX 360 Queer Aesthetics
- ARTX 370 Global Souths and Others
Requirements for the Art History Minor
Number of Units
Six units are required. A SIP is not counted as part of the six units.
ARTX 160 Art, Power, and Society
ARTX 491 Ways of Seeing (Fall Senior Year)
Four additional courses from Breadth and Topics in any combination.
Rising Junior Information
Visit the Rising Junior Information page to learn more.
Rising Senior Information
Visit the Rising Senior Information page to learn more.
To learn more about SIPs, visit Art History SIPS.